There is no better way to start off the morning than with coffee and a fresh, warm donut. But unless you live next door to a Tim Hortons this probably isn’t going to happen. We have a donut recipe that is super simple and tastes even better than any store-bought treat. We opted to make cinnamon-sugar (think Tiny Tom) and chocolate frosted donuts but the topping possibilities are endless.
- 1 can Pillsbury biscuit dough (NOT the flaky kind)
- vegetable oil
For cinnamon-sugar topping:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For chocolate frosting topping
- 1 can chocolate cake icing
- rainbow sprinkles
1. Separate dough into individual biscuits.
2. Using a water bottle cap as a cookie cutter, punch a hole in the middle of the biscuit. (The centres can be fried up also).
3. Fry donuts in a pan filled with two inches of vegetable oil at 350 degrees (this is around medium high heat). Flip when one side has turned golden brown, around 2 minutes.
4. Drain on paper towel lined plate.
5. Whilst still warm either dunk in cinnamon sugar mixture or frost with icing and finish with rainbow sprinkles.