The finale to the Starving Student’s Greek Week is a flavourful rice pilaf. This healthy option can be made even healthier by incorporating more vegetables (such as zucchini) and using brown rice instead of traditional white.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 1 med carrot diced (or 5 baby carrots diced)
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 up long grain rice
- 3 cup water or chicken broth
1. Heat oil in a pot. Add onion, carrot and celery. Sautee for a few minutes and then add oregano and thyme.
2. Add rice and brown for 2 minutes.
3. Add water or stock and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until all liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy (about 20 min).