These Tex-Mex inspired muffins are the perfect breakfast solution for those “just woke up and need to get out the door” mornings. They’re filling, portable and healthy! We suggest baking up a large batch on a weekend and storing them in the freezer for later consumption.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Tex- Mex cheese
- 3 tbs chilled butter
- 1 1/4 cups fat free butter milk (we substituted the same amount of milk with 1 tbs of white vinegar mixed in)
- 2 tbs green onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a food processor or blender. (Something like a Nutribullet works well here.)
3. Add 5 tbs of cheese and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spoon mixture into a medium bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, onion, garlic and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
5. Spoon mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.