“Just like Mama makes em back home in Stratford. They are a goldmine…literally.”
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1 cup (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) lemon juice
- 1/8 cup (60 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (10 mL) icing sugar (decorating)
So there two parts to making this delectable little treat; the crust and the curd.
1. To make the crust, in bowl you beat together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. This is very important, it will form the foundation of the crust.
2. Then, stir in the flour in 2 additions. Press into parchment paper–lined 1 cake pan and bake in 325°F (160°C) oven until golden, 35 to 40 minutes. While the base is cooling, start mixing together your curd.
3. For the curd, rinse out the bowl you just used, and beat eggs with sugar until pale and thickened.
4. Then add the key ingredient, the lemon zest and lemon juice. After combined, stir in the flour and baking powder and pour over the cool base, spreading evenly.
5. Again, bake 325°F (160°C) oven until centre is set but still jiggly around 23 minutes.
6. Let cool on rack and dust with icing sugar to make it look prettier. Cut into squares and then eat them for days. No sharing needed required.
Submit your recipes using the #starvingstudentrecipes hashtag. We want to know what you’re eating.